From: "Kevin F. Quinn" <kevquinn@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New category: net-voip
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 12:49:24
1 On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 21:42:07 +0100
2 Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@×××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3
4 > On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 18:04:10 +0200 "Kevin F. Quinn"
5 > <kevquinn@g.o> wrote:
6 > | If it were to be implemented with symlinks (implying one entry is
7 > | "real" and the others are aliases) the package manager just needs to
8 > | canonicalise any symlinked CPs it comes across.
9 >
10 > Not that simple. Think about installed packages, overlays and changing
11 > aliases. The package manager would need to keep track of what aliases
12 > were at any given time.
13
14 Not if the aliases are resolved to the canonical CP when they are
15 parsed. At any point in time, the dep resolver would be working with
16 canonical CPs as they exist at that point, not what they were when the
17 package was installed or the binpackage was built.
18
19 > Then there're symlinks to outside the tree and
20
21 Maybe I've misunderstood you here, but surely aliasing from inside the
22 tree to outside it (e.g. to an overlay package not present in the
23 primary tree) would not be sensible.
24
25 > circular symlinks... There's a lot more too it than is initially
26 > obvious.
27
28 My understanding is that circular dependencies are not supported; the
29 situation would be no different with aliasing, pretty much by
30 definition if nothing else - all aliases should ultimately resolve to a
31 real package, which they can't do if you allow circular aliases.
32
33 > | Since we can't have symlinks in CVS, there are other ways it can be
34 > | done; first thing that pops into my head is an "alias" package entry
35 > | in the tree, where instead of ebuilds & files/ etc it would just
36 > | contain a file "alias" with the category (and perhaps package name)
37 > | of the aliased package.
38 >
39 > Files are cleaner than symlinks for other reasons too. Also allows the
40 > opportunity of making 'deprecated' aliases that issue QA warnings.
41 >
42 > | > Has to walk the entire tree... so if N category per pkg is going
43 > to | > be proposed, need to preserve the fast lookup that's there now.
44 > |
45 > | I don't think the above ideas cause any substantial change to the
46 > | amount of processing required.
47 >
48 > Perhaps you should think. It's nowhere near as straight forward as you
49 > claim. Which is not to say it's not doable, just that it's not doable
50 > cheaply...
51
52 I still don't see how, if aliases are canonicalised when they are
53 parsed, the issue becomes more complex. Internally the package manager
54 would always think in terms of the canonical CP, at which point it's
55 not doing anything that it isn't already.
58 Kevin F. Quinn