From: Peter <sw98234@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: seeds, GLEPs, and projects
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 22:05:30
1 On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 17:01:02 -0400, Mike Pagano wrote:
2 > Maybe a recruiting drive to help with the maintenance. A typical
3 > business brings on new blood and assigns them just that role to free up
4 > more senior developers for more complicated projects.
5 >
6 > New developers should definitely meet a standard, but the possibility of
7 > bringing developers with energy and potential to assist in maintenance
8 > might be worth a consideration.
9
10 That's a laugh! Problem is that no devs seem to get approved in a timely
11 fashion. And, any potential devs would be rather turned off by the goings
12 on here. You guys seem to try and stifle innovation at every turn --
13 trying to turn Gentoo into GLEPtoo. Instead of progress, you have
14 arguments. Instead of innovation, you have arguments. Instead of new
15 blood, you lose people.
16
17 You (collectively meaning the critics of new projects) are so worried
18 about the perception of Gentoo that you can't see the forest for the
19 trees. The fact that every new proposal gets a 100 message thread as a
20 response looks really silly. Having developers submit ebuild quizzes and
21 then not hear for 6 weeks is silly.
22
23 Here's my take on what wrong with leadership and the process in
24 Gentoo-land . Many people have ideas, and some make attempts to implement
25 them. That's great. However, some then think it's not right or not proper
26 or not proposed the right way. Some of the critics may be right, but who's
27 the arbiter? Who's to say, "STFU, this project is going ahead" or "You've
28 got a point, let's discuss it." No one. There's no one person or group who
29 seems to have the authority to step up and take control of a situation. No
30 one who can say to bashers, "You're out of line." Oh I know, there's the
31 council, but really, I've yet to see them exert any authority. Look at the
32 calamity that surrounded Paludis or Sunrise.
33
34 Instead, you have a dozen people jerking around over the propriety of the
35 manner in which a project was proposed! All trying, with good intent,
36 to influence the future direction of Gentoo. Good god. It's like third
37 grade.
38
39 So, my unofficial 2 cents are: Encourage development at every turn.
40 Accelerate approval of developers (hint, kloeri, christel?), and, instead
41 of flaming and arguing all the time, maybe offer assistance! And lastly,
42 for goodness sakes, someone take control. You really need an authority
43 figure here who is respected and whose word is final. Otherwise, every
44 tom, dick, and harry with an opinion is going to chime in and say "Oh no,
45 you can't do that."
48 Peter
51 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list