From: AGottinger@t-online.de (Achim Gottinger)
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Linux documentation
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 15:15:17
1 drobbins@g.o wrote:
2 >
3 > On Sat, Mar 17, 2001 at 07:03:51PM +0100, Achim Gottinger wrote:
4 >
5 > > Another thing. I want to make two new categories:
6 >
7 > > - app-spell: (for i/a/pspell, their backendsand the dictionaries.
8 > > - app-ml: for all the xml/sgml/html whatever ml stuff.
9 >
10 > > Or should ml be a new major categorie with ml-apps and ml-libs subcategories?
11 > > Then we can put stuff like libwww, libxslt, libxml in ml-libs. And things
12 > > like jade, sablotron, and all the sgml-tools to ml-apps.
13 >
14 > Since "ml" reminds me of "machine language", how about these categories:
15 >
16 > markup-apps
17 > markup-libs
18 >
19 > ???
20 >
21 > Maybe ml is better.
22 Hmm I'm still thinking about a category name that merges markup
23 languages with tes related stuff.
24
25 Yesterday I reworked the sgml related part of docbook. This produces now
26 quite better output results
27 than the xsl way.
28 The following output's now work fine: html, dvi, pdf, ps, tex
29 I had to hack the plain-text backend so text should worke fine once I
30 commited my changes.
31 I have still problems producing man and texi output (They both depend on
32 the perl package SGMLSpm, maybe this is buggy).
33
34 Here is a list of packages required to handle sgml docbook stuff:
35
36 sgml-common: Includes basic entitie definitions and a script to manage
37 catalogs.
38 docbook-sgml-dtd: Includes docbook SGML DTD's
39 docbook-dsssl-stylesheets: Includes the conversion stylesheets
40
41 openjade: Does the conversion job
42 jadetex: Is required to produce the dvi pdf ps output.
45 docbook-sgml-utils: Includes conversion stylesheets and scripts for
46 conversion (docbook2html, ...)
47
48 Here is a list of packages required to handle sgml docbook stuff:
49
50 docbook-xml-dtd: The XML DTD's
51 docbook-xml-simple-dtd: The XML DTD's for simplified docbook (100
52 instead of 300 entities)
53 docbook-xsl-stylesheets: XSLT Stylesheets for html and fo output
54 (Coming soon: docbook-xml-2X: Stylesheets and scripts to convert
55 xml-docbook to man and texi)
56 xmltex: An xml parser for tex.
57 passivetex: Macros required to convert fo to pdf and tex.
58
59 libxslt: Includes the xslt parser.
60
61 The sgml-packages now add and remove their catalogs from a centralized
62 catalog.
63 This is a LSB conform handling of catalogs.
64
65 All cataolges get stored in /etc/sgml
66
67 There is one global catalog that keeps all the other centralized
68 catalogs. called "catlog".
69
70 The three packages sgml-common, docbook-dsssl-stylesheets and openjade
71 create the catalogs
72
73 sgml-ent, dsssl-docbook-stylesheets and openjade-1.3.
74
75 They add their centralized catalog to a catalog named
76 /etc/sgml/sgml-docbook.cat.
77
78 The docbook-sgml-dtd packages creates an centralized catalog called
79 /etc/sgml/sgml-docbook-{3,4}.[0,1}.cat
80 and add the global sgml-docbook.cat to that version specific catalog.
81
82 The docbook utils scan the sgml input for the doctype and use the
83 matching sgml-docbook catalog automatic.
84 These utils also detect if the input is and xml file. In this case it
85 wants to use /etc/sgml/xml-docbook-{PV}.cat. Not working, because the
86 XML way of handling docbook files does not use catalog
87 files.
88
89 All the sgml dtd's, stylesheets and internal scripts go to
90 /usr/share/sgml/.
91 All the names I used for the subdirs are LSB convorm.
92
93 I renamed a few packages to be more LSB convorm and to work with the
94 dependencies system.
95
96 Bye Achim
100 > --