From: Alex McWhirter <alexmcwhirter@×××××××.us>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changing order of default virtual/udev provider
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2016 01:30:19
1 Why does any discussion revolving around systemd always turn out like this?
2
3 For the record, I'm an OpenRC user and intend on keeping it that way for
4 as long as i can. In that case i need udev to keep things working the
5 way i want them to. So in the case that the systemd team makes udev
6 inseparable from systemd, I will then consider using eudev or something
7 else. The point here is that i will change udev "if and when" that happens.
8
9 If that change occurs it's not like all OpenRC users are going to have
10 dead boxes. We will still have older versions of udev in the tree for
11 quite a while as we figure out the best approach. The best approach may
12 very well be to make systemd the default over OpenRC. I'm perfectly fine
13 with that as long as i can still opt to choose OpenRC / "whateverdev" at
14 install time.
15
16 Now eudev looks good to me and will probably work fine for my use case,
17 but that may not apply to everyone. In fact, the case may be that the
18 majority of users are using systemd. If the majority of users use
19 systemd and udev is pulled out from under our feet then maybe we should
20 go full on systemd. However, maybe the majority of users are not using
21 systemd and in that case maybe eudev would be a better option. There may
22 even be other solutions. Of course, there are other things we will need
23 to consider as well, but not until we have to make those decisions in
24 response to an upstream change.
25
26 The point is that udev works now, and it probably will for a while
27 longer. There's no point in changing something that not only works, but
28 works well. When it does break we can then figure out the rest of the
29 details. It could be a completely different situation tomorrow compared
30 to what it is today. Again, i don't really care as long as i can choose
31 the system i want should i want something different than the default.
32
33 This discussion shouldn't be about systemd fanboys forcing systemd down
34 others throats and conversely it shouldn't be about non-systemd bigots
35 forcing something else down their throats either. It should be about
36 which default best reflects the needs of the community should udev be no
37 longer accessible as a stand alone thing. It's almost a pointless
38 discussion right now considering people are arguing over trivial
39 preferences / ideologies and the fact that the situation may be very
40 different when it actually becomes a problem.
41
42 In short...
43
44 If it isn't broke, don't fix it.