From: Jon Portnoy <avenj@g.o>
To: Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o>
Cc: Caleb Tennis <caleb@g.o>, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: GLEP 19 -- Gentoo Stable Portage Tree
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2004 19:18:41
1 On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 12:26:06PM -0500, Kurt Lieber wrote:
2 > On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 10:45:11AM -0500 or thereabouts, Caleb Tennis wrote:
3 > > This is an awesome GLEP idea, and I'm glad it finally got put into written
4 > > words. The one suggestion I have, which I am sure is up for a large amount
5 > > of criticism, is that I think Gentoo should charge a fee for the use of this
6 > > tree. This is, in my opinion, a premium service, and a I believe it should
7 > > come with a premium price, even if it's as low as 5 dollars per quarter.
8 >
9 > I'll be interested to see what other folks say about that suggestion. I am
10 > personally opposed to it, but not for the same reasons that I think a lot
11 > of the other folks will be.
12 >
13 > I would hate to exclude certain key features of Gentoo Linux to those folks
14 > who can't/won't pay for them. I feel a stable tree is a key feature and
15 > charging for it would do more harm than good.
18 I agree. I do not think that would be in the spirit of free software.
19 Additionally it would alienate a lot of developers and users.
22 Jon Portnoy
23 avenj/irc.freenode.net
26 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list