From: Caleb Tennis <caleb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: GLEP 19 -- Gentoo Stable Portage Tree
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2004 21:39:33
1 While I'm not particular on the actual implementation, nor do I have a firm
2 opinion one way or another on this matter, I personally see a large
3 opportunity for Gentoo to create more "products" that generate revenue. This
4 looked like a great opportunity for that, so that's why I suggested it.
5
6 From my perspective, we're going to take what amounts to a portage snapshot
7 and spend time (and not a trivial amount either) maintaining it separate from
8 mainstream portage. I don't think $20 a year is an unreasonable amount to
9 ask for this - especially since the normal portage tree is still available.
10 The money is meant to benefit the future of the project; it's not going into
11 my pockets.
12
13 I didn't expect the idea to be a popular one, but I bet if you took an
14 informal poll of end-users who explicitly would desire using this tree over
15 the normal portage tree, a majority of them would see the value and incline
16 to agree. And while it'd be nice to just have a "Donate to Paypal" link
17 instead, I'm inclined to think most people would prefer paying for a service
18 rather than donating to a group.
19
20 I don't intend this to flame or be flamebait; I'm just wanting to throw out
21 ideas and perhaps get some people thinking outside the box.
22
23 Caleb
24