From: Xavier Neys <neysx@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo and UTF-8
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 08:31:06
1 Heinrich Wendel wrote:
2 > On Monday 23 August 2004 18:08, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
3 >
4 >>On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 01:42:43PM +0200, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
5 >>
6 >>>What I think is also very much needed for this is documentation. I
7 >>>currently run simply without setting any locale. This works for me, but
8 >>>if I were to test UTF8 stuff, I would need to know how.
9 >>
10 >>/me too. Perhaps Xavier or anyone else on the GDP knows more about UTF8?
11
12 Not really, it just works for me. Gnome/gvim/gedit/less/xterm support utf8.
13 I even have utf8 chars in filenames, no problem.
14 OOo.org was mentioned, but it can open utf8 text files OK and utf8 filenames
15 are properly displayed in the open file dialog.
16
17 > There is an UTF-8 howto in the forums:
18 > http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=166984
19 >
20 > I have contact with the author and I'm trying to get him on board.
21
22 There is also a quite substantial
23 http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Unicode-HOWTO.html
24 but it does not address typing utf8 chars in a console and I have never looked
25 deeply into that either.
26 FYI, unicode_start will make your console display utf8 but when I do that, I
27 can't type accented chars anymore, e.g. meta , c does not give me ccedilla as
28 it did before doing a unicode_start.
31 Cheers,
32 --
33 / Xavier Neys