From: Carsten Lohrke <carlo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Handling compatible multi tools
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 12:23:33
1 On Friday 14 October 2005 00:33, Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò wrote:
2 > I already tried preparing a list, but right now, they are probably limited
3 > to tar and mpg123/mpg321 ... sort of.
4
5 Add sys-apps/star to your list.
6
7 > * don't install the symlink in src_install
8 > * in pkg_postinst, look at ${ROOT}/bin/tar.. if it does exists, and it
9 > points on something existing, don't touch it, otherwise, make it a link to
10 > the current tar
11 > * in pkg_postrm, if ${ROOT}/bin/tar points to something non existant,
12 > remove it
13
14 The only problem I see with this are concurrent emerge processes (not
15 supported now, but hopefully in a future Portage version). Apart from that it
16 is a bit ugly to have this code in every affected ebuild, so maybe using a
17 CHECK_SYMLINK="${ROOT}/bin/tar" variable and having the rest of the code in
18 an eclass would be a good idea.
21 Carsten