From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposal for advanced useflag-syntax
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 20:23:31
1 * Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o> schrieb:
2
3 <snip>
4
5 > > And what does this flag exactly say at this point ?
6 > >
7 > > Install only xlib ?
8 > > Install xlib and some further ones ? Which ones ?
9 > > Install all libs ?
10 >
11 > Opening an ebuild and reading it must be hard.
12
13 Not what I asked. I'm talking about what an user can expect to get.
14 You don't expect every user to look trough each ebuilt, seriously ?
15
16 And, in case of Xorg, the individual needs may very deeply.
17 Some applications need just Xlib, some Xaw, others maybe some
18 extensions, etc.
19
20 If you would put evrything in one monolithic package you would,
21 in the end, need one useflag per library. Or you loose the ability
22 to build the system for your special needs. Most times you'll get
23 much, much stuff you won't ever need. Is this compatible with
24 the gentoo philosphy ?
27 cu
28 --
30 Enrico Weigelt == metux IT service - http://www.metux.de/
32 Please visit the OpenSource QM Taskforce:
33 http://wiki.metux.de/public/OpenSource_QM_Taskforce
34 Patches / Fixes for a lot dozens of packages in dozens of versions:
35 http://patches.metux.de/
37 --
38 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list