From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] 'pax_kernel' USE flag
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2021 07:58:37
1 >>>>> On Wed, 23 Jun 2021, Michał Górny wrote:
2
3 >> It's just not available for everyone for free/without registration
4 >> anymore. But it is still a thing in Gentoo.
5
6 > Your comment makes it sounds like 'just registering' is an option.
7 > The website seems to disagree with that, pretty clearly saying it's
8 > a yearly subscription. How much? They don't say but it's reasonable to
9 > assume it's a steep price. Wouldn't be surprised if people are
10 > forbidden from saying.
11
12 Apparently it was $17k per year, in 2016:
13 https://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/libreplanet-discuss/2016-05/msg00114.html
14
15 > But even if they offered me a free copy I wouldn't take it. They have
16 > violated the principles of GPL and harmed the FLOSS world. If you care
17 > about open source, you wouldn't pay them a broken penny. If you do, you
18 > just support their actions and soon enough more GPL projects will figure
19 > out that they can steal all their contributions and declare themselves
20 > 'keep paying and do not share the code as GPL permits you to'.
21
22 This has been discussed at length, and I don't think we need to
23 reiterate it here.
24
25 My point was that most developers cannot test if the pax_kernel flag in
26 a given package does what it should. IMHO the consequence is that we
27 can no longer consider PaX a supported configuration.
28
29 Ulrich