From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: Troy Dack <troy@××××××.com>
Cc: John Nilsson <pzycrow@××××××.com>, gentoo-dev List <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GnomeUI-WARNING
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 13:21:24
1 I dont see ssh as being a good solution in this case. On a firewalled
2 single user machine, the complexity of going through ssh (which seems to
3 have a patchy history as regards security itself) seems like it might be
4 more of a risk (i.e., misconfiguration, security holes etc) as well as
5 the inconvenience of an unwieldy command line compared to the
6 alternative - simplicity.
7
8 How does Mandrake, RedHat etc do this, as they work in the fashion I
9 desire?
10
11 I do use ssh in the above mode for external connections, but am
12 unconvinced it is useful or even adds anything but risky inconvenience
13 in a fully local mode. I am convinced there is a point where security
14 can be overdone and be self-defeating in the long run.
15
16 BillK
17