From: Collins <erichey2@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o, gentoo <gentoo-user@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: gentoo & fhs
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 20:17:12
1 On Tue, 2 Jul 2002 17:45:55 -0700 Luke Ravitch <luke@××××××××××.com>
2 wrote:
3 > On 2002-07-02 15:54, Fuper <futurist@×××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 > > I'm reading the FHS 2.2 and I don't see that statement. I can't
5 > > see that FHS forbids a compliant system from having such as
6 > > directory as/usr/kde. If it does please give me a reference; I'd
7 > > like to get this straight. (anyway kde is NOT a "large package"
8 > > but a sub-hierarchy for a whole system of related packages.)
9 >
10 > Section 4.1, second paragraph:
11 >
12 > Large software packages must not use a direct subdirectory
13 > under the /usr hierarchy.
14 >
15 > And I think KDE is a "large package" in the same sense that X is.
16 > The standard states that:
17 >
18 > An exception is made for the X Window System because of
19 > considerable precedent and widely-accepted practice.
20 >
21 > I think it's clear that if it were starting from scratch, the FHS
22 > wouldn't have a /usr/X11R6 tree. Maybe the question becomes: If the
23 > FHS didn't have /usr/X11R6, where would it put X? Of course, as you
24 > pointed out, maybe we just want to do The Right Thing, whatever the
25 > FHS seems to say.
28 Thanks for all the responses; now I understand a lot more. The person
29 who started me on this track (another group) is one of those
30 curmudgeons who likes to kibitz but promptly declines to lift a finger
31 to do any work that is helpful.
34 Collins Richey - Denver Area - WWTLRD?
35 gentoo(since 01/01/01) 2.4.18+(ext3) xfce-sylpheed-mozilla