From: Luke Ravitch <luke@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: gentoo & fhs
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 19:45:56
1 On 2002-07-02 15:54, Fuper <futurist@×××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > I'm reading the FHS 2.2 and I don't see that statement. I can't see
3 > that FHS forbids a compliant system from having such as directory as
4 > /usr/kde. If it does please give me a reference; I'd like to get this
5 > straight. (anyway kde is NOT a "large package" but a sub-hierarchy for
6 > a whole system of related packages.)
7
8 Section 4.1, second paragraph:
9
10 Large software packages must not use a direct subdirectory
11 under the /usr hierarchy.
12
13 And I think KDE is a "large package" in the same sense that X is. The
14 standard states that:
15
16 An exception is made for the X Window System because of
17 considerable precedent and widely-accepted practice.
18
19 I think it's clear that if it were starting from scratch, the FHS
20 wouldn't have a /usr/X11R6 tree. Maybe the question becomes: If the
21 FHS didn't have /usr/X11R6, where would it put X? Of course, as you
22 pointed out, maybe we just want to do The Right Thing, whatever the
23 FHS seems to say.
26 Luke