From: Fuper <futurist@×××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: gentoo & fhs
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 17:50:44
1 On Tue, 2002-07-02 at 14:03, Charles Lacour wrote:
2 > >
3 > >"Large software packages must not use a direct subdirectory under the
4 > >/usr hierarchy."
5
6 I'm reading the FHS 2.2 and I don't see that statement. I can't see
7 that FHS forbids a compliant system from having such as directory as
8 /usr/kde. If it does please give me a reference; I'd like to get this
9 straight. (anyway kde is NOT a "large package" but a sub-hierarchy for
10 a whole system of related packages.)
13 > I can see two possible outs to conforming to both the FHS and Gentoo's stuff.
14 >
15 > Either use one of the existing subdirectories of /usr ("bin" and "lib" are about
16 > the only two that make any sense) or create a new subdirectory, such as "apps".
17
18 That would be grotesque but might comply with the standard. Well,
19 binaries in /usr/lib are those that are "not intended to be executed
20 directly by users or by shell scripts" I suppose users execute kde
21 binaries ;-)
22
23 The problem is that the entire /bin /include /lib /share approach to
24 slicing and dicing is awkward and "application directories" is a more
25 flexible and more easily maintained approach (like ROX or like MacOS
26 X). I use GNU Stow for maintaining local packages in their own
27 directories, with symlinks in /usr/local/bin etc, and I find that
28 approach to be quite good.
29
30 In this regard I would suggest that Gentoo _lead_ toward a better
31 organization and /usr/kde is a good step. I think that it _is_
32 compliant with the FHS 2.2 Standard, but if it's not compliant then the
33 standard is wrong^h^h^h^h^h unhelpful.