From: Edgar Hucek <hostmaster@×××××××.at>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, wolf31o2@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: Niches and new developers (especially xbox)
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 12:32:52
1 Am Freitag, 11. Juni 2004 14:32 schrieb Chris Gianelloni:
2 > On Thu, 2004-06-10 at 17:44, Chris Bainbridge wrote:
3 > > I do not understand this concern regarding the legality of the xbox
4 > > gentoo effort. Can you state specifically what your concerns are, and
5 > > which laws you think are being broken?
6 >
7 > Disseminating *any* means of bypassing the "copy protection" or the
8 > security features of the Xbox are illegal in the United States thanks to
9 > the DCMA. As an American citizen you definitely won't see me signing
10 > off on *any* official Xbox release, as there is the possibility that *I*
11 > may be held liable.
12
13 I must really missunderstanding something.
14
15 1.) The linux kernel does not support playing native Xbox games.
16 2.) Using the xbox-linux bios (cromwell ) makes the Xbox only usable
17 for linux.
18 3.) Profiding an xbe ( this is the xbox ececutalble format ), does also
19 not bypassing the copyrightprotection. The xbe is only used for booting
20 linux.
21
22 > > btw, IBM *may* have added some derivative code to the linux kernel. Using
23 > > your argument, should we remove the kernel sources pending outcome of the
24 > > court case?
25 >
26 > Allegations of wrongdoing are one thing. Blatantly breaking a low, even
27 > an unjustified and stupid law, is still highly illegal.
30 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list