From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: Niches and new developers (especially xbox)
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 14:16:59
1 On Fri, 2004-06-11 at 08:32, Edgar Hucek wrote:
2 > > Disseminating *any* means of bypassing the "copy protection" or the
3 > > security features of the Xbox are illegal in the United States thanks to
4 > > the DCMA. As an American citizen you definitely won't see me signing
5 > > off on *any* official Xbox release, as there is the possibility that *I*
6 > > may be held liable.
7 >
8 > I must really missunderstanding something.
9 >
10 > 1.) The linux kernel does not support playing native Xbox games.
11 > 2.) Using the xbox-linux bios (cromwell ) makes the Xbox only usable
12 > for linux.
13 > 3.) Profiding an xbe ( this is the xbox ececutalble format ), does also
14 > not bypassing the copyrightprotection. The xbe is only used for booting
15 > linux.
16
17 Having documentation on how to bypass the security measures of the Xbox
18 violates the DMCA. The xbox-linux guys are simply ignoring this and
19 doing "business as usual" by providing this information. I have no
20 problems with it myself, just that technically it *is* illegal. You
21 have to just love laws that are complete garbage.
24 Chris Gianelloni
25 Release Engineering QA Manager/Games Developer
26 Gentoo Linux
27
28 Is your power animal a penguin?