From: Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Marking virtuals stable
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 13:55:03
1 On Thu, 31 May 2007 05:28:35 -0400
2 Michael Cummings <mcummings@g.o> wrote:
3
5 > Hash: SHA1
6 >
7 > Ulrich Mueller wrote:
8 > > So, only this reply.
9 > >
10 > > May I conclude that nobody objects to the above?
11
12 I think marking virtuals is OK. If you cannot mark them because some
13 DEPENDs have not been marked (stable) for some arch, you couldn't do it
14 anyway (while at the same time getting past repoman) and would have to
15 file a keywording bug. I think I should probably review this stance at
16 the earliest when virtuals threaten to become more than containers for
17 DEPENDs.
18
19 > Wearing only my perl team hat, it would seem to lowly me that if a
20 > virtual points to packages foo and bar, and both foo and bar were
21 > tested and marked stable by the arch's previously, that its silly to
22 > then wait for them to mark the virtual stable as well, since at least
23 > in my perception the only function of that virtual is to say use one
24 > of these packages - which have already been marked stable.
25
26 I have seen many Perl virtuals go straight to stable and haven't ever
27 experienced any adverse effects. :)
28
29 > /me hopes some arch brains step in, like weeve in particular, who is
30 > usually far more eloquent at defending an arch's position
31
32 Oh sorry. :)
35 Kind regards,
36 JeR