From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: udev <-> mdev
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2012 21:30:23
1 On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 4:02 PM, Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se> wrote:
2 [snip]
3 > Anyone who tries to argue that initramfs would be good for me to
4 > have on my systems should brace themselves for a mouthful of foul
5 > swedish language coming their way! ;)
6
7 I don't think anyone has argued it's "good" for anyone. An initramfs
8 it's just now the only supported way (by udev and systemd) to have a
9 separated /usr partition.
10
11 If your /usr is in the same partition as /, then udev and systemd
12 supports your configuration *without* an initramfs. I have it like
13 that in a couple of servers, and actually I only use an initramfs in
14 my laptop and desktop because I like plymouth.
15
16 If your /usr is in a separate partition as /, and you don't want to
17 use an initramfs, you're free to do so. Only then udev (and systemd,
18 if you use it) will not support your configuration, and any problem
19 you encounter will be ignored in their mailing lists/bugzillas.
20
21 Regards.
22 --
23 Canek Peláez Valdés