From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The Gentoo Developer Handbook - Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 22:31:53
1 Stuart Herbert wrote: [Mon Jul 19 2004, 04:44:37PM EDT]
2 > > * The ability to arbitrarily suspend or remove developers (without
3 > > providing notice or reason to the people who actually work with the
4 > > developer in question).
5 >
6 > Isn't that what the ombudsman is for?
7
8 To be specific, the ombudsman office is supposed to serve as a neutral
9 (as possible) body that attempts to mediate disputes. The ombudsman
10 office never suspends or removes anybody.
11
12 > Btw, what was that about a probation period *before* cvs access was granted?
13 > I was never quite clear how the would-be dev in question was supposed to
14 > successfully complete a probation when he wasn't actually a dev yet, and
15 > therefore couldn't do anything.
16
17 My understanding from talking to recruiters a few weeks back is that
18 it's not really a "probation" period; it's a waiting period. It's there
19 to weed out the folks who decide they want to become a dev on a lark,
20 but who aren't really willing to follow through.
21
22 The new-developer policy is detailed on the recruiters page on www.g.o
23 (under projects/devrel). Again, these policies are the best that the
24 recruiters team have come up with so far. If you have helpful
25 suggestions (or serious concerns), by all means bring them up.
26
27 > devrel don't have the easiest job in the world, and I'm sure those of us who
28 > enjoy our freedom of speech don't make it any easier :) I think it'd be
29 > great to see them conduct their business a little less in the shadows though,
30 > so that they can maintain the goodwill of the developer community at large.
31
32 Fair enough. What do you see as the most egregious cases, and let's
33 start there.
34
35 Best,
36 g2boojum
37 --
38 Grant Goodyear
39 Gentoo Developer
40 g2boojum@g.o
41 http://www.gentoo.org/~g2boojum
42 GPG Fingerprint: D706 9802 1663 DEF5 81B0 9573 A6DC 7152 E0F6 5B76