From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The Gentoo Developer Handbook - Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 20:44:41
1 On Monday 19 July 2004 19:20, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > Well, you could, but the devrel self-granted powers list suggests that
3 > you won't get very far:
4 >
5 > * The ability to arbitrarily suspend or remove developers (without
6 > providing notice or reason to the people who actually work with the
7 > developer in question).
8
9 Isn't that what the ombudsman is for?
10
11 > * The ability to decide to change the mentor for a new developer without
12 > even bothering to tell the original mentor, let alone providing a reason
13 > to the people involved.
14
15 I've saw that one happen too :(
16
17 Btw, what was that about a probation period *before* cvs access was granted?
18 I was never quite clear how the would-be dev in question was supposed to
19 successfully complete a probation when he wasn't actually a dev yet, and
20 therefore couldn't do anything.
21
22 > and the latest:
23 >
24 > * The ability to impose arbitrary restrictions upon what developers are
25 > and are not allowed to say on IRC and the mailing lists.
26
27 Don't forget the ebuild do's and don'ts hidden in the etiquette doc ;-)
28
29 devrel don't have the easiest job in the world, and I'm sure those of us who
30 enjoy our freedom of speech don't make it any easier :) I think it'd be
31 great to see them conduct their business a little less in the shadows though,
32 so that they can maintain the goodwill of the developer community at large.
33
34 Best regards,
35 Stu
36 --
37 Stuart Herbert stuart@g.o
38 Gentoo Developer http://www.gentoo.org/
39 http://stu.gnqs.org/diary/
40
41 GnuPG key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu
42 Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319 C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C