From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The Gentoo Developer Handbook - Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 18:23:33
1 On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 11:27:58 -0400 Joshua Brindle <method@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | > No more flaming? erm.
4 | >
5 | > I'd better stop showing up on freenode I think. You'll find me on
6 | > jabber/ICQ in case you want me in a nonregulated environment.
7 | >
8 |
9 | Perhaps it's time for us less socially desirable devs to stand up to
10 | the devrel regime and show them who's boss ;)
11
12 Well, you could, but the devrel self-granted powers list suggests that
13 you won't get very far:
14
15 * The ability to arbitrarily suspend or remove developers (without
16 providing notice or reason to the people who actually work with the
17 developer in question).
18
19 * The ability to decide to change the mentor for a new developer without
20 even bothering to tell the original mentor, let alone providing a reason
21 to the people involved.
22
23 and the latest:
24
25 * The ability to impose arbitrary restrictions upon what developers are
26 and are not allowed to say on IRC and the mailing lists.
27
28 I'm sure devrel aren't actively out to set themselves up as the new
29 spanish inquisition. However, it seems I'm not the only one that's
30 noticed them moving from a "helping developers" role to "policing
31 developers" instead, and I'd like to know what devrel's stance on this
32 is. Come to think of it, I remember a certain former manager bringing
33 this exact point up shortly before he left.
36 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Sparc, MIPS, Vim, Fluxbox)
37 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
38 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm