From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The Gentoo Developer Handbook - Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 22:21:28
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote: [Mon Jul 19 2004, 02:20:24PM EDT]
2 > * The ability to arbitrarily suspend or remove developers (without
3 > providing notice or reason to the people who actually work with the
4 > developer in question).
5
6 I would agree that devrel has a responsibility to provide notice and/or
7 reason to the developer in question, but it's not clear to me that the
8 developer's team needs to be kept apprised of any details other than
9 "developer foo has been suspended / removed". Removing or suspending a
10 dev is fairly rare, and generally due to some sort of egregious
11 behavior, so a notice saying "dev foo will be suspended / removed a week
12 from tuesday" seems unlikely.
13
14 > * The ability to decide to change the mentor for a new developer without
15 > even bothering to tell the original mentor, let alone providing a reason
16 > to the people involved.
17
18 I don't see anything about mentoring in the policy guide, although I
19 agree that it would be nice to have something in there. That said, if
20 this behavior has happened in the past, then I think something went
21 drastically awry. Please, when something like this happens, either
22 e-mail devrel@g.o or ombudsman@g.o. We can't fix problems
23 when we don't know about them.
24
25 > * The ability to impose arbitrary restrictions upon what developers are
26 > and are not allowed to say on IRC and the mailing lists.
27
28 To the best of my knowledge, these "arbitrary restrictions" are neither
29 new nor restrictions. (The beginning of the etiquette portion of the
30 doc pretty clearly states that the poorly-termed "rules" are not
31 mandates but strong suggestions.) Since at least the time that I joined
32 #gentoo-dev has been a clean-language channel, and we have always asked
33 people with voice or ops in that channel to be reasonably polite.
34 Surely we can also all agree that kicking / banning people just for the
35 fun of it is a bad idea?
36
37 > I'm sure devrel aren't actively out to set themselves up as the new
38 > spanish inquisition. However, it seems I'm not the only one that's
39 > noticed them moving from a "helping developers" role to "policing
40 > developers" instead, and I'd like to know what devrel's stance on this
41 > is. Come to think of it, I remember a certain former manager bringing
42 > this exact point up shortly before he left.
43
44 I think you'll find that, in general, devrel is lousy at policing devs.
45 My experience has been that devrel does not normally get involved until
46 somebody has gone to the effort of actually complaining to devrel about
47 something. At that point devrel is obligated to investigate and try to
48 solve the problem, all with at least a modicum of privacy for any devs
49 involved. It's an imperfect system, to say the least, which is why
50 there is also an ombudsman office.
51
52 The way I see it, anything mentioned in this doc is fair game for
53 discussion. The policy guide is _not_ a constitution, it's a guide. If
54 you don't agree with something in it, by all means provide an
55 alternative for discussion.
56
57 Best,
58 g2boojum
59 --
60 Grant Goodyear
61 Gentoo Developer
62 g2boojum@g.o
63 http://www.gentoo.org/~g2boojum
64 GPG Fingerprint: D706 9802 1663 DEF5 81B0 9573 A6DC 7152 E0F6 5B76