From: Corey Shields <cshields@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The Gentoo Developer Handbook - Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 20:23:15
1 On Monday 19 July 2004 01:20 pm, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > I'm sure devrel aren't actively out to set themselves up as the new
3 > spanish inquisition. However, it seems I'm not the only one that's
4 > noticed them moving from a "helping developers" role to "policing
5 > developers" instead, and I'd like to know what devrel's stance on this
6 > is. Come to think of it, I remember a certain former manager bringing
7 > this exact point up shortly before he left.
8
9 Nobody on the devrel team is getting their jollies from "policing developers",
10 and if there wasn't a need for it then you wouldn't see it. The problem is
11 that some people have acted or said some pretty offensive things while acting
12 on behalf of Gentoo in the eyes of the victim. That can't be put up with,
13 and personally I'm not open to be persuaded otherwise. Whether developers
14 realize it or not, there are corporations and large organizations watching,
15 and some of them migrating to Gentoo. As a distribution, we can't tolerate
16 developers being jerks to other people, especially our users. I know this
17 first hand, because my place of employment was about to pack up and walk away
18 from Gentoo altogether after one such altercation between one of our
19 employees and a dev.
20
21 I don't think it is asking too much of people to treat each other
22 appropriately. If that is the case, then you won't see devrel's involvement
23 and there is no problem.
24
25 Cheers,
26
27 -Corey
30 Corey Shields - Gentoo Linux Infrastructure Team
31 http://www.gentoo.org/~cshields
34 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list