From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The Gentoo Developer Handbook - Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 20:37:47
1 On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 15:22:58 -0500 Corey Shields <cshields@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | Nobody on the devrel team is getting their jollies from "policing
4 | developers", and if there wasn't a need for it then you wouldn't see
5 | it. The problem is that some people have acted or said some pretty
6 | offensive things while acting on behalf of Gentoo in the eyes of the
7 | victim. That can't be put up with, and personally I'm not open to be
8 | persuaded otherwise. Whether developers realize it or not, there are
9 | corporations and large organizations watching, and some of them
10 | migrating to Gentoo. As a distribution, we can't tolerate developers
11 | being jerks to other people, especially our users. I know this first
12 | hand, because my place of employment was about to pack up and walk
13 | away from Gentoo altogether after one such altercation between one of
14 | our employees and a dev.
15 |
16 | I don't think it is asking too much of people to treat each other
17 | appropriately. If that is the case, then you won't see devrel's
18 | involvement and there is no problem.
19
20 So large corporations depend upon devrel reassigning mentors *without
21 bothering to inform the original mentor*? Uh huh...
24 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Sparc, MIPS, Vim, Fluxbox)
25 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
26 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm