From: Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The Gentoo Developer Handbook - Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 00:22:44
1 On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 07:20:24PM +0100 or thereabouts, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > * The ability to arbitrarily suspend or remove developers (without
3 > providing notice or reason to the people who actually work with the
4 > developer in question).
5
6 I don't think expecting advance notice is reasonable, but I personally
7 would agree that at least a vague reason is appropriate. (i.e. "He was rude
8 to a user")
9
10 > * The ability to decide to change the mentor for a new developer without
11 > even bothering to tell the original mentor, let alone providing a reason
12 > to the people involved.
13
14 As I discussed with you on IRC, this was a miscommunication.
15
16 > * The ability to impose arbitrary restrictions upon what developers are
17 > and are not allowed to say on IRC and the mailing lists.
18
19 I have seen this and I strongly disagreed with it then and now. I don't
20 believe it is *ever* appropriate for devrel to censor devs, whether it be
21 temporarily or permanently. As long as it is done professionally and
22 courteously, devs should be able to express themselves freely imo.
23
24 > I'm sure devrel aren't actively out to set themselves up as the new
25 > spanish inquisition. However, it seems I'm not the only one that's
26 > noticed them moving from a "helping developers" role to "policing
27 > developers" instead, and I'd like to know what devrel's stance on this
28 > is.
29
30 Honestly, it's not devrel's place to decide what their role in the project
31 is. That responsibility belongs to the developers themselves. If folks
32 believe devrel is overstepping their bounds, then let's discuss it and work
33 at re-defining those bounds. After reading the etiquette section of the
34 handbook this morning, I certainly felt like devrel (of which I am a
35 member) had gone a bit far.
36
37 Please keep in mind, though, that "devrel" isn't a faceless body. It's
38 made up of fellow volunteers who are trying to do their best. They're
39 allowed to make mistakes just like the rest of us are. Venting your
40 frustrations may make you feel better, but I'm not sure it really does much
41 to solve the actual problem at hand. Bring ideas and suggestions to the
42 table, but please leave the barbs and venom at home.
43
44 --kurt