From: Jon Portnoy <avenj@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The Gentoo Developer Handbook - Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 01:38:33
1 On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 12:23:23AM +0000, Kurt Lieber wrote:
2 > I have seen this and I strongly disagreed with it then and now. I don't
3 > believe it is *ever* appropriate for devrel to censor devs, whether it be
4 > temporarily or permanently. As long as it is done professionally and
5 > courteously, devs should be able to express themselves freely imo.
6
7 I absolutely agree. I very much don't want devrel to be in the thought
8 police business.
11 > > I'm sure devrel aren't actively out to set themselves up as the new
12 > > spanish inquisition. However, it seems I'm not the only one that's
13 > > noticed them moving from a "helping developers" role to "policing
14 > > developers" instead, and I'd like to know what devrel's stance on this
15 > > is.
16 >
17 > Honestly, it's not devrel's place to decide what their role in the project
18 > is. That responsibility belongs to the developers themselves. If folks
19 > believe devrel is overstepping their bounds, then let's discuss it and work
20 > at re-defining those bounds. After reading the etiquette section of the
21 > handbook this morning, I certainly felt like devrel (of which I am a
22 > member) had gone a bit far.
25 I also agree here. I have been MIA the past week and am just now getting
26 caught back up, but everybody please make sure to be noisy about it when
27 you feel something is inappropriate - just don't be a jerk about it :)
30 Jon Portnoy
31 avenj/irc.freenode.net
34 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list