From: Chris Bainbridge <chrb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The Gentoo Developer Handbook - Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 10:15:47
1 On Tuesday 20 July 2004 02:38, Jon Portnoy wrote:
2 > On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 12:23:23AM +0000, Kurt Lieber wrote:
3 > > I have seen this and I strongly disagreed with it then and now.  I don't
4 > > believe it is *ever* appropriate for devrel to censor devs, whether it be
5 > > temporarily or permanently. As long as it is done professionally and
6 > > courteously, devs should be able to express themselves freely imo.
7 >
8 > I absolutely agree. I very much don't want devrel to be in the thought
9 > police business.
10
11 Well, this is going to be a can of worms :) I expect people will be evenly
12 split between the "we can do what we want to do" and "we need rules" camps.
13 So I will throw in an extreme example - what if a dev was posting racist
14 literature to news groups from their gentoo email address? What if some
15 random person on the internet told you to f**k off? How would your feelings
16 change if they were a redhat employee and sent that email direct from redhat,
17 rather than being a random? When you act as a gentoo developer, with your
18 gentoo email address, then people are going to assume that you represent
19 gentoo.
22 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list