From: Dylan Carlson <absinthe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The Gentoo Developer Handbook - Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 12:36:30
1 On Tuesday 20 July 2004 6:15 am, Chris Bainbridge wrote:
2 > When you act as a gentoo developer, with your
3 > gentoo email address, then people are going to assume that you represent
4 > gentoo.
5
6 To a limited extent.
7
8 Gentoo is a group of people working on software; not an
9 ideological/political platform. It's quite unnecessary (and ludicrous)
10 that someone would have to send from a different email address to express
11 their views -- what difference does that truly make?
12
13 Most people realize that open-source projects are mostly driven by
14 volunteers, and by that "open"-ness project/organization members are
15 entitled-- if not encouraged-- to express their own views on anything;
16 assuming of course they don't make a point of antagonizing people.
17
18 This is the beauty of open source software development: in theory, it's
19 apolitical-- most of our peers don't care about how we dress, our
20 eccentricities, our views-- as long as we produce something and can manage
21 to get along with others. At least agree to disagree. The reality is
22 that we get mucked up in politics too; or more accurately, people who
23 "speak up" merely to put their thumbprint on things as a way of saying
24 "hi, I'm here, and I'm Participating." These days, moreso than the past
25 7-8 years I've been involved in the open source "stuff", I've seen more
26 people trying to justify their existence by debating countless minutiae on
27 public mailing lists.
28
29 I'm going to expand the scope of this reply, so bear with me.
30
31 I won't undermine the argument that perhaps a mistake was made WRT "The
32 Mentoring Situation", but it has probably been blown (way) out of
33 proportion. Ultimately it doesn't matter who mentors who as long as it
34 gets done appropriately. Devrel is the group that makes those decisions.
35 People impacted by those decisions have a basic right to know why, but
36 inevitably everyone will miscommunicate something sometime.
37
38 If someone feels devrel (or anyone else) isn't handling <foo> correctly,
39 write a complaint to -dev. Assume first it was an honest mistake. Ask
40 for clarification. Launching ad hominems on mailing lists is
41 counterproductive. Gentoo is a human effort; mistakes will be made, so
42 there's no point in trying to embarrass someone. Have the facts straight
43 first before assuming that someone has done something specifically to
44 screw us over.
45
46 "Can't we all just get along?" (Rodney King on the L.A. Riots)
47
48 When conspiracy theories/labels like "thought police" get bandied about,
49 that's not addressing issues on a case-by-case basis-- that's attacking
50 your peers. Disappointing. We're all volunteers, with the same basic
51 goal of trying to make Gentoo better.
52
53 Cheers,
54 Dylan Carlson [absinthe@g.o]
55 Public Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x708E165F