From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Final qt/QTDIR scheme
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2001 02:13:25
1 On Tuesday 09 October 2001 05:19, you wrote:
2 > 1) What are the difference between qt-x11 and qt-x11-free.
3 qt-x11 comes under the QPL license. This allows to use it freely in
4 developing GPL'd apps, or to purchase a license file, install it and develop
5 commercial ones.
6 qt-x11-free allows only the GPL part. It is essentially the same; this
7 license is used e.g. for qt3 betas. I'm not going to add those to portage, I
8 was just giving an example.
9
10 > 2) Why is it called qt-x11 and not just 'qt'?
11 > I guess this is because you can build qt-embedded (Is that for
12 > framebuffer)? or perhaps there even is a qt-fb for that. Anyway, my
13 > point is, why not calling "regular" (x11) qt just plain and simple
14 > 'qt' and use an extra ending for the others?
15 Because qt-x11 is the full, proper name. The source archive/dir, for example,
16 is also called qt-x11. That's why the ebuild is called qt-x11 too, and always
17 have been. There's no need to shorten names, that just creates confusion :-).
18 It's like calling gnome, GDE.
19
20 > When/if EClasses gets accepted they won't be restricted to KDE-use
21 > (right?) and should probably be used for all qt-apps (and probably
22 > others), meaning that if it's an qt2 app it inherits qt2.eclass and if
23 > it's an qt3 app it inherits qt3.eclass.
24 Er, wrong probably. Eclasses will not be used extensively outside kde; that's
25 where they are most useful. They might be though.
26 But when I said:
27 - An app being compiled outside ebuilds, non-kde qt apps, and everything else
28 that doesn't use eclasses will have to trust that QTDIR is properly set, or
29 to set it manually to /usr/lib/qt-x11-$MAJOR_VERSION (no biggie)
30 I forgot to mention that this is what *all* our ebuilds have had to do so
31 far. So we're still far better off.
35 Dan Armak
36 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team
37 Matan, Israel