From: Mikael Hallendal <hallski@g.o>
To: "Gentoo Dev." <gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Final qt/QTDIR scheme
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2001 03:43:55
1 tis 2001-10-09 klockan 10.10 skrev Dan Armak:
2 > On Tuesday 09 October 2001 05:19, you wrote:
3 > > 1) What are the difference between qt-x11 and qt-x11-free.
4 > qt-x11 comes under the QPL license. This allows to use it freely in
5 > developing GPL'd apps, or to purchase a license file, install it and develop
6 > commercial ones.
7 > qt-x11-free allows only the GPL part. It is essentially the same; this
8 > license is used e.g. for qt3 betas. I'm not going to add those to portage, I
9 > was just giving an example.
10
11 Sorry I was unclear, I was wondering what "feature"-changes there were
12 between the two. Or are they the exact same just distributed with
13 different licenses?
14
15 > > 2) Why is it called qt-x11 and not just 'qt'?
16 > > I guess this is because you can build qt-embedded (Is that for
17 > > framebuffer)? or perhaps there even is a qt-fb for that. Anyway, my
18 > > point is, why not calling "regular" (x11) qt just plain and simple
19 > > 'qt' and use an extra ending for the others?
20 > Because qt-x11 is the full, proper name. The source archive/dir, for example,
21 > is also called qt-x11. That's why the ebuild is called qt-x11 too, and always
22 > have been. There's no need to shorten names, that just creates confusion :-).
23 > It's like calling gnome, GDE.
24
25 Ok, didn't know the full name was qt-x11 (thought that someone named it
26 so in portage to make it more clear that it was the x11-build). What
27 this had to do with GNOME I dunno and why it would ever be called GDE.
28
29 > > When/if EClasses gets accepted they won't be restricted to KDE-use
30 > > (right?) and should probably be used for all qt-apps (and probably
31 > > others), meaning that if it's an qt2 app it inherits qt2.eclass and if
32 > > it's an qt3 app it inherits qt3.eclass.
33 > Er, wrong probably. Eclasses will not be used extensively outside kde; that's
34 > where they are most useful. They might be though.
35 > But when I said:
36 > - An app being compiled outside ebuilds, non-kde qt apps, and everything else
37 > that doesn't use eclasses will have to trust that QTDIR is properly set, or
38 > to set it manually to /usr/lib/qt-x11-$MAJOR_VERSION (no biggie)
39 > I forgot to mention that this is what *all* our ebuilds have had to do so
40 > far. So we're still far better off.
41
42 Hmm .. if ebuilds will always just be used for KDE i can't see why it
43 should be added to portage. I think that if it works fine (which it
44 seems to do) and is accepted to be part of portage it should be utilized
45 wherever appropriate and IMHO it sounds like it would be in the examples
46 discussed above.
47
48 Anyway, it's your call, just curious.
49
50 Regards,
51 Mikael Hallendal
55 Mikael Hallendal
56 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team Leader
57 CodeFactory AB, Stockholm, Sweden