From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Final qt/QTDIR scheme
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2001 04:07:40
1 On Tuesday 09 October 2001 11:43, you wrote:
2 > Sorry I was unclear, I was wondering what "feature"-changes there were
3 > between the two. Or are they the exact same just distributed with
4 > different licenses?
5 That's right. Up to qt-2.x (not sure which) there were separate packages,
6 qt-x11-free, -proffesional and -enterprise. They were unified into qt-x11
7 which allows you to install a license file.
8
9 > Ok, didn't know the full name was qt-x11 (thought that someone named it
10 > so in portage to make it more clear that it was the x11-build). What
11 > this had to do with GNOME I dunno and why it would ever be called GDE.
12 GDE=Gnome Desktop Environment. I just gave an example of unnecessary
13 shortening of names, a bad one :-).
14
15 > Hmm .. if ebuilds will always just be used for KDE i can't see why it
16 > should be added to portage. I think that if it works fine (which it
17 > seems to do) and is accepted to be part of portage it should be utilized
18 > wherever appropriate and IMHO it sounds like it would be in the examples
19 > discussed above.
20 Of course eclasses can be used verywhere - the more the better - it's just
21 that they are most fitted for kde apps. You know best about gnome apps. As
22 for pure qt apps, they may profitably inherit e.g. base.eclass. But there are
23 very few non-kde qt apps (just 2 or 3 in portage that I can think of). So as
24 I said, non-kde use won't be extensive, unless for gnome, about which I don't
25 know anything.
29 Dan Armak
30 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team
31 Matan, Israel