From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] newsitem: important fstab update
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2016 17:19:45
1 On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 1:15 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 01:10:06PM -0400, Mike Gilbert wrote:
3 >> On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 1:01 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
4 >> > If you are not using /dev/disk/by-* paths in fstab, you do not need to
5 >> take any action for this news item.
6 >> >
7 >> > If you are, it is very critical that you update fstab AS SOON AS
8 >> POSSIBLE. Your system will become unbootable in the future if you do
9 >> not do so.
10 >>
11 >> Err, what is changing that will make systems unbootable?
12 >>
13 >> I am fairly certain systems running systemd will continue to work
14 >> properly with either syntax.
15 >
16 > They probably will.
17 >
18 >> If this is about the udev-settle issue for OpenRC, I would urge you to
19 >> reconsider that.
20 >
21 > There isn't anything to reconsider afaik. The problem is that
22 > /dev/disk/by-* are only created by udev/eudev, but the other syntax
23 > works regardless of which device manager you use, so this is the safer
24 > route.
25
26 People do not randomly switch device managers. If the symlinks
27 currently work for them, they can/should continue to work in the
28 future.