From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] newsitem: important fstab update
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2016 17:16:11
1 On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 01:10:06PM -0400, Mike Gilbert wrote:
2 > On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 1:01 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
3 > > If you are not using /dev/disk/by-* paths in fstab, you do not need to
4 > take any action for this news item.
5 > >
6 > > If you are, it is very critical that you update fstab AS SOON AS
7 > POSSIBLE. Your system will become unbootable in the future if you do
8 > not do so.
9 >
10 > Err, what is changing that will make systems unbootable?
11 >
12 > I am fairly certain systems running systemd will continue to work
13 > properly with either syntax.
14
15 They probably will.
16
17 > If this is about the udev-settle issue for OpenRC, I would urge you to
18 > reconsider that.
19
20 There isn't anything to reconsider afaik. The problem is that
21 /dev/disk/by-* are only created by udev/eudev, but the other syntax
22 works regardless of which device manager you use, so this is the safer
23 route.
24
25 William