From: Francesco Riosa <vivo75@×××××.com>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] newsitem: important fstab update
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2016 20:56:19
1 2016-10-25 19:15 GMT+02:00 William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>:
2
3 > On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 01:10:06PM -0400, Mike Gilbert wrote:
4 > > On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 1:01 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
5 > wrote:
6 > > > If you are not using /dev/disk/by-* paths in fstab, you do not need to
7 > > take any action for this news item.
8 > > >
9 > > > If you are, it is very critical that you update fstab AS SOON AS
10 > > POSSIBLE. Your system will become unbootable in the future if you do
11 > > not do so.
12 > >
13 > > Err, what is changing that will make systems unbootable?
14 > >
15 > > I am fairly certain systems running systemd will continue to work
16 > > properly with either syntax.
17 >
18 > They probably will.
19 >
20 > > If this is about the udev-settle issue for OpenRC, I would urge you to
21 > > reconsider that.
22 >
23 > There isn't anything to reconsider afaik. The problem is that
24 > /dev/disk/by-* are only created by udev/eudev, but the other syntax
25 > works regardless of which device manager you use, so this is the safer
26 > route.
29 please make also clear that UUID=... syntax will still work, one for all I
30 don't like labels and will gladly continu to use this format:
31 UUID=debd07a3-fbbc-4433-89db-29e6f91d25e4 /boot ext2 noauto,noatime 1 2
36 > William