From: Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] newsitem: important fstab update
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2016 08:50:20
1 On 10/25/2016 13:15, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 01:10:06PM -0400, Mike Gilbert wrote:
3 >> On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 1:01 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
4 >>> If you are not using /dev/disk/by-* paths in fstab, you do not need to
5 >> take any action for this news item.
6 >>>
7 >>> If you are, it is very critical that you update fstab AS SOON AS
8 >> POSSIBLE. Your system will become unbootable in the future if you do
9 >> not do so.
10 >>
11 >> Err, what is changing that will make systems unbootable?
12 >>
13 >> I am fairly certain systems running systemd will continue to work
14 >> properly with either syntax.
15 >
16 > They probably will.
17 >
18 >> If this is about the udev-settle issue for OpenRC, I would urge you to
19 >> reconsider that.
20 >
21 > There isn't anything to reconsider afaik. The problem is that
22 > /dev/disk/by-* are only created by udev/eudev, but the other syntax
23 > works regardless of which device manager you use, so this is the safer
24 > route.
25 >
26 > William
29 I take it us museum relics still using jurassic-era device names like
30 /dev/sd* or /dev/md* aren't affected by this? Cthulhu-forbid Linux device
31 naming gets any more complicated than using UUID's. What's next, saving the
32 serial numbers of discovered disks in an overly-complicated key/value-based
33 non-SQL database format?
36 Joshua Kinard
37 Gentoo/MIPS
38 kumba@g.o
39 6144R/F5C6C943 2015-04-27
40 177C 1972 1FB8 F254 BAD0 3E72 5C63 F4E3 F5C6 C943
41
42 "The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And
43 our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
44
45 --Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic