From: Chris Bainbridge <C.J.Bainbridge@×××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: Niches and new developers (especially xbox)
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 13:10:14
1 On Friday 11 June 2004 18:57, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > On Fri, 2004-06-11 at 12:45, Chris Bainbridge wrote:
3 > > Actually the DMCA says:
4 > >
5 > > `(2) No person shall manufacture, import, offer to the public,
6 > > provide, or otherwise traffic in any technology, product, service,
7 > > device, component, or part thereof, that--
8 > >
9 > > `(A) is primarily designed or produced for the purpose of
10 > > circumventing a technological measure that effectively controls access to
11 > > a work protected under this title;
12 >
13 > We would be offering to the public the instructions on how to bypass the
14 > technological measure that controls access to the Xbox BIOS. We would
15 > absolutely be breaking part A.
16
17 We are not "circumventing a technological measure that effectively controls
18 access to a work". If we were, it would be possible to copy and play pirated
19 games. How can a system that retains the existing security features of the
20 xbox be considered to be circumventing them?
21
22 The instructions would be "primarily designed" to describe how to install
23 linux. They would not be "primarily designed" to describe how to pirate
24 games.
25
26 So from both points here, I do not believe that we would be infringing.
27
28 > > `(B) has only limited commercially significant purpose or use other
29 > > than to circumvent a technological measure that effectively controls
30 > > access to a work protected under this title; or
31 >
32 > Our documentation would be exactly this. It would have no purpose other
33 > than to inform people on how to bypass Microsoft's access controls.
34
35 No, its purpose is to run linux, not bypass the access controls on commercial
36 DVDs.
37
38 > > `(C) is marketed by that person or another acting in concert with
39 > > that person with that person's knowledge for use in circumventing a
40 > > technological measure that effectively controls access to a work
41 > > protected under this title.
42 >
43 > Would we have the documentation on our servers? Is that not marketing
44 > it?
45
46 It would be marketing it. It would not, however, be marketed for the purpose
47 of circumventing the protection on commercial DVDs.
48
49 > I cannot give any justification because I have none. I did not add the
50 > ebuild, nor do I maintain it. I would probably vote for its removal
51 > from portage, rather than have the MPAA come after us, if someone were
52 > to ask. However, that ebuild is not my responsibility. I *am*
53 > responsible to the Release Engineering team, and think it is a good idea
54 > for our works to not be something that could possibly land us in any
55 > legal trouble.
56
57 Maybe we need a US/non-US package split. We can remove all of the potentially
58 DMCA/patent infringing ebuilds from the US based servers. As Europeans do not
59 (yet) have such restrictions as the DMCA and software patents this would make
60 sense.
63 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list