From: "Damon M. Conway" <damon@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] galeon-0.12.5-r1.ebuild
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 08:47:03
1 Jon Nelson wrote:
2 >While I don't understand everything about gentoo, let me make a statement
3 >and ask a question I hope isn't too, ah, caustic.
4 >
5 >Shouldn't a new file, say 0.12.5-r2, be created and used?
6 >Isn't that why there are different files for different releases?
7 >Why have a 0.12.5-r1 at all, then?
8 >
9 >I personally much prefer that once an ebuild is committed, it not change.
10 >If changes need to be made, shouldn't a new ebuild file be made?
11 >
12 >Just my opinion, but I feel it has merit.
13 >
14 >If changes are made to an ebuild file, and I run rsync, sure, I get
15 >the updated ebuild. However, does portage understand that it's a "new"
16 >ebuild?
17
18 I agree with this. When you fix an ebuild, a new one should be created so
19 that users know that something was fixed, or at least updated. It also
20 wouldn't be a bad idea to remove broken ebuilds after they've been fixed.
21
22 kabau
25 "UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that
26 would also stop you from doing clever things." --Doug Gwyn