From: Jon Nelson <jnelson@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] galeon-0.12.5-r1.ebuild
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 08:36:14
1 On 24 Oct 2001 16:19:15 +0200
2 Mikael Hallendal <micke@×××××××××.net> wrote:
3
4 > ons 2001-10-24 klockan 15.43 skrev Grant Goodyear:
5 > > I still seem to be having trouble emerging the latest galeon.
6 >
7 > Hi!
8 >
9 > Hmm, they might have changed so that you have add --disable-applet (they
10 > might have changed since previous version where you used --enable-applet
11 > to build it).
12 >
13 > I've commited an updated 0.12.5-r1 with --disable-applet.
14
15 While I don't understand everything about gentoo, let me make a statement
16 and ask a question I hope isn't too, ah, caustic.
17
18 Shouldn't a new file, say 0.12.5-r2, be created and used?
19 Isn't that why there are different files for different releases?
20 Why have a 0.12.5-r1 at all, then?
21
22 I personally much prefer that once an ebuild is committed, it not change.
23 If changes need to be made, shouldn't a new ebuild file be made?
24
25 Just my opinion, but I feel it has merit.
26
27 If changes are made to an ebuild file, and I run rsync, sure, I get
28 the updated ebuild. However, does portage understand that it's a "new"
29 ebuild?
30 --
31 Jon Nelson
32 jnelson@×××××××.net