From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] About adding "systemd" to profiles/default/linux/x86/13.0/use.stable.mask
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 14:35:30
1 On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 9:23 AM, Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o> wrote:
2 > I would like to ask about adding "systemd" USE flag to use.stable.mask
3 > to let us stop needing to revbump packages with optional systemd support
4 > when stabilizing them.
5 >
6 > Are you ok with that?
7
8 Am I interpreting the impacts of this correctly? I believe this would
9 mean that if you ran systemd on an otherwise-stable system (that is,
10 only systemd and possibly udev are in package.keywords) then you won't
11 get systemd support in any of your other packages, even if it is
12 available in a stable version of that package? My only VM running
13 systemd just happens to be in that configuration, but I'm willing to
14 admit that I'm a bit of an edge case. :)
15
16 Why exactly do we need to revbump packages with optional systemd
17 support when stabilizing them in the first place? ~arch users would
18 already have systemd support compiled if they use it, and stable users
19 would get it when it is stabilized.
20
21 I freely admit that there might be some nuance that I'm simply not
22 getting here...
23
24 Rich