From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] usr merge
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2016 00:42:57
1 On Fri, Apr 08, 2016 at 03:20:24PM -0700, Daniel Campbell wrote:
2 > Based on what I've read here in the thread, merging /bin and /sbin
3 > into /usr/{sbin,bin} is a matter of convenience by putting most of the
4 > static parts of a running system into a single path. As mentioned by
5 > some people, however, that's not enough to make deployment across
6 > multiple machines super simple. The distros that focus on that aren't
7 > rolling release like we are, and thus don't face the same difficulties
8 > that we do. In addition, Gentoo supports a broad number of choices for
9 > users and some are advocating for an option.
10
11 It is true that we offer a high degree of choice to users, but one of
12 those choices is not which paths to install binaries and libraries
13 into.
14
15 We install some binaries/libraries in /{bin,sbin,lib*} and others in
16 /usr/{bin,sbin,lib*}; the users don't get to choose which binaries and
17 libraries go where.
18
19 > At a higher level, I'm not really sure why we're discussing it.
20 > Perhaps I missed it, but I didn't see an actual problem that someone
21 > was having mentioned anywhere. The /usr merge seems to me as a partial
22 > "solution" for a different type of environment; one that, arguably, is
23 > better suited for a distro that's designed for such deployments.
24
25 It would, for us, eliminate a lot of customization in the base-system
26 ebuilds, for example, all of the rearrangement of binaries in coreutils,
27 splitting of the binaries between / and /usr in procps, all calls to
28 gen_usr_ldscript in any ebuilds, among other things.
29
30 In short, it would make packaging simpler, and maintain backward
31 compatibility at the same time since the symlinks in / would exist.
32
33 > I personally think sharing /usr over a network and deploying it to
34 > multiple machines could be a recipe for disaster. It seems like a
35 > business case scenario that would involve multiple other system
36 > changes. It sounds like a great case for adding another profile or
37 > something rather than changing things tree-wide. Maybe it's a case for
38 > making profiles more powerful and flexible. Regardless, I'd hate to
39 > see choice diminished here for the sake of a single set of rather
40 > narrow use-cases.
41
42 Based on what I said above, I don't see what choice is being diminished
43 by the /usr merge, since we do not give users a choice about how their
44 file system is laid out, or where packages are installed.
45
46 If I'm honestly missing something, enlighten me. :-)
47
48 William