From: Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] usr merge
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2016 14:11:48
1 > On Apr 8, 2016, at 8:42 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 >> On Fri, Apr 08, 2016 at 03:20:24PM -0700, Daniel Campbell wrote:
4 >> Based on what I've read here in the thread, merging /bin and /sbin
5 >> into /usr/{sbin,bin} is a matter of convenience by putting most of the
6 >> static parts of a running system into a single path. As mentioned by
7 >> some people, however, that's not enough to make deployment across
8 >> multiple machines super simple. The distros that focus on that aren't
9 >> rolling release like we are, and thus don't face the same difficulties
10 >> that we do. In addition, Gentoo supports a broad number of choices for
11 >> users and some are advocating for an option.
12 >
13 > It is true that we offer a high degree of choice to users, but one of
14 > those choices is not which paths to install binaries and libraries
15 > into.
18 Sure we do. Users can do pretty much whatever convoluted file system hierarchy layout they want prior to unpacking the stage3 -- multiple volumes, symlinks or bind-mounts to combine dirs, etc etc.
19
20 IMO support for this usr-merge should be left to that level of system configuration, as long as portage/other PMs support installing packages in such a way that the contents of /bin and /usr/bin don't collide with each other at merge time.
21
22 In other words, we should not drop any form of support at all for non-usr-merged systems. Which means all of that ebuild cleanup WilliamH wants to do cannot happen. Which, IMO, makes the whole thing moot.