From: Aron Griffis <agriffis@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for January
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 17:25:30
1 Hi Lance,
2
3 You started this thread by proposing that: (1) Gentoo is lacking
4 a direction/goal, (2) this is supported by the lack of ground breaking
5 enhancements in the past couple of years. Later in the thread you
6 proposed that (3) the solution may be to appoint a single person to
7 provide a global goal/direction for the project.
8
9 Looking first at 1 and 2, I think your assumption that ground-breaking
10 enhancements are dependent on direction/goal is false. IMHO any
11 single project within Gentoo can bring ground-breaking enhancements to
12 the distribution without being given prior direction from a higher
13 authority. The places where Gentoo needs improvement are generally
14 well-known, and any developer has the power to bring a design and
15 implementation to the table. The problem here isn't a lack of
16 direction, it's a lack of action, particularly in the areas that *you*
17 consider ground-breaking. What in particular would you like to see?
18
19 So, keeping in mind that any developer can bring a plan to the table,
20 my understanding of the council is this: In cases where a plan
21 requires broader changes, the role of the council is to make sure that
22 the plan makes sense in the context of Gentoo, where "context" is
23 defined as history, philosophy, and the collection of goals defined by
24 the other projects. It is not the role of the council to cook up the
25 plan, that can be done by any developer(s), including council members
26 if they have any brilliant ideas. ;-)
27
28 Finally, looking at 3, that statement depends on the relationship
29 between direction/goal and ground-breaking enhancements. If that
30 relationship does not exist, then 3 is moot: Appointing a single
31 individual to lead the project will not have an effect of generating
32 ground-breaking enhancements.
33
34 Personally, I agree with Grant's and Chris's comments in this thread.
35 There have been some positive changes in the past couple years, and
36 there are people working hard to bring more about. Hopefully we're
37 cultivating an environment where the next major enhancement is just
38 around the corner. What will it be? I'm in favor of leaving that to
39 the individual projects to determine.
40
41 Regards,
42 Aron
45 Aron Griffis