From: Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for January
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2006 18:17:21
1 Mike Frysinger wrote:
2
3 > If you have something you'd wish for us to chat about, maybe even
4 > vote on, let us know ! Simply reply to this e-mail for the whole
5 > Gentoo dev list to see.
6
7 Gentoo has been missing some kind of direction/goal for some time now.
8 Looking back at the last two years, what are the major
9 changes/accomplishments that we have done? Granted, I know there has
10 been great strides in improvement in some things, but I really wonder
11 about any ground breaking enhancements.
12
13 Since the council is the closest representation to a leader we have, I'd
14 like to ask if they can come up with some kind of global goals for 2006
15 and beyond. You don't need to come up with goals by this meeting if you
16 haven't had time, but at least by the February meeting. Each group can
17 have their own goals, but we lack any overall binding goals or
18 direction. We've brought on numerous devs in the past year, and I have
19 yet to see a huge improvement in QA or anything else. Numbers aren't
20 everything. If anything, it makes it harder to maintain good QA.
21
22 There's a lot of people out there frustrated with Gentoo because of the
23 lack of QA and direction. Package foo changes a bunch of config
24 locations, package bar gets upgraded and causes a bunch of QA
25 nightmares. At least from an admin point of view, Gentoo has gotten
26 harder to maintain. Granted, thats a question for Gentoo itself. Who
27 exactly are we catering to? Power users? New users? We can't satisfy
28 everyone out there and need to draw a line of how much we'll devote to
29 keeping the new user from destroying their system, etc.
30
31 I'm not sure of the exact solution. Its just been pretty frustrating
32 lately hearing folks complain about this and that when I know that we
33 could do so much better. Maybe we're just happy with being where we're
34 at. I know I'm not. There's a niche that Gentoo fits really well and I
35 think we should focus on perfecting that niche instead of trying to be
36 better than distroA or distroB.
37
38 Ok, thats all my ranting for today. Hopefully I didn't start off the
39 next world flamewar :-)
40
41 Cheers-
44 Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
45 Gentoo Infrastructure | Operations Manager
46
47 ---
48 GPG Public Key: <http://www.ramereth.net/lance.asc>
49 Key fingerprint: 0423 92F3 544A 1282 5AB1 4D07 416F A15D 27F4 B742
50
51 ramereth/irc.freenode.net