From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for January
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 19:13:49
1 On Mon, Jan 02, 2006 at 12:14:05PM -0600, Lance Albertson wrote:
2 > Since the council is the closest representation to a leader we have, I'd
3 > like to ask if they can come up with some kind of global goals for 2006
4 > and beyond.
5
6 I couldn't agree more, yet I'm afraid Gentoo has grown too large to do this
7 efficiently. Many ideas are easily marked as WONTFIX (due to resource
8 restrictions), CANTFIX (since it would mean a rewrite of Portage) or
9 WORKSFORME (when /your/ way works). And when a proposal makes it to the
10 mailinglist, only a small number of developers is interested in
11 participating. The majority doesn't care, and a vocal minority tries
12 everything in its power to prevent the project from succeeding.
13
14 What could Gentoo bring out as a global goal for 2006 which isn't part of a
15 single Gentoo project? Things like "Have an automated installer" (Installer
16 Project), "Document enterprise usage of Gentoo" (Documentation Team), "Port
17 Gentoo to ReactOS" (Gentoo/ALT), "Introduce signing of all Portage Tree
18 files" (Portage Team), ... are all great accomplishments if they succeed
19 (note: some of the above are hypothetical, in case you are wondering :) but
20 only span one project.
21
22 In my opinion, all projects should bring out global goals for themselves.
23 The Gentoo Global Goals for 2006 would then be an overview of those goals.
24 Yet the Gentoo Council doesn't bring any input here.
25
26 There are some interesting ideas on the Gentoo Forums that aren't situated
27 in any of the current projects, such as "Top-100 Feature Requests" [1], "Gentoo
28 Binary profile" [2], "Gentoo Knowledge Base" [3], "USE-flag triggered
29 software installation" [4], etc.
30
31 Wkr,
32 Sven Vermeulen
33
34 [1] A site where the community can vote (one vote per bugzilla account?) on
35 feature requests (or bugs), could be integrated in bugzilla if that's
36 possible, but can also be a separate site where the feature request is
37 formed dynamically (wiki?) or by discussion (forum).
38 [2] A profile that freezes CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS/CHOST/USE/... and uses a build
39 server to build binary packages for that binary-package profile. The
40 project should not focus on the end result itself but rather on how all
41 this is accomplished using Gentoo and how companies and organisations
42 can easily implement a similar environment
43 [3] Something like Microsoft's KB where common issues are well explained,
44 resolutions documented and where a good search mechanism is in place to
45 help find the right solution. Would require moderation so that solutions
46 are correct. Could provide dual solutions: one community-written (open
47 wiki), one developers accepted (moderated wiki).
48 [4] Setting a USE flag triggers the installation of some recommended
49 software so that novices don't need to search for the right software.
50 Fex: USE="kde cdr" -> kde-meta + k3b
53 Gentoo Foundation Trustee | http://foundation.gentoo.org
54 Gentoo Council Member
55