From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for January
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 19:14:28
1 On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 06:21:39PM +0100, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
2 > There are some interesting ideas on the Gentoo Forums that aren't situated
3 > in any of the current projects, such as "Top-100 Feature Requests" [1], "Gentoo
4 > Binary profile" [2], "Gentoo Knowledge Base" [3], "USE-flag triggered
5 > software installation" [4], etc.
6 [...]
7
8 (Sorry, pressed "send" too soon).
9
10 However, having such proposals is great, but they need to be worked out by
11 one or more users and formed into a GLEP. Such GLEPs can then be discussed
12 on the mailinglist and sent for "approval" to the Gentoo Council.
13
14 Now this is where the Gentoo Council comes in: its role is to /advise/
15 Gentoo's development, not regulate. If GLEPs come occasionally, there is
16 barely any reason not to positively advise to implement GLEP. After all, if
17 there are issues with it they would either be broken down during the
18 mailinglist discussions, or they are broken down when the teams themselves
19 refuse to implement them.
20
21 When several GLEPs require (immediate) attention, the Council will try to
22 advise where the priorities should be placed (which GLEP goes first).
23
24 When several GLEPs interfere with each other, the Council will try to advise
25 which GLEP is most beneficial for Gentoo and its community.
26
27 Some people hope to see the Council as a regulating body. Forget it,
28 developers are the brains that lead Gentoo's evolution, voluntary work is the
29 blood that keeps Gentoo rolling, the community is the heart for which
30 we all work. As such, there is no single regulating body.
31
32 And as much as I hope to see a select few bring bright ideas, coördinate
33 projects and make everyone's work easier, I have seen too many attempts that
34 kill bright ideas to know far from everyone would be happy with such a
35 situation.
36
37 Wkr,
38 Sven Vermeulen