From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: vapier@g.o, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] HLDS discussion
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 09:52:27
1 On Wednesday 06 August 2003 4:38 am, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > i maintain them ... and if you look at the date on the d ebuild you'll find
3 > it was in portage a few hours after d was released ;)
4
5 d's an experimental patch. Why is it the only version in portage?
6
7 > as for adding back in older versions, ill look into it ...
8
9 Seems a shame to have an ebuild only for a version that is well-known as
10 broken ...
11
12 Especially as your ebuild for NS-2 installs the 3.1.1.0c version of NS, and
13 (unless I've missed it in the ebuild) doesn't include the patch to make NS-2
14 run on 3.1.1.1d.
15
16 > i'm still trying to make hlds work properly on 1.0/1.2/1.4 boxes ... glibc
17 > seems to cause issues of course :/
18
19 libs-compat fixes that for me just fine, at least with 3.1.1.0c + boffix.
20
21 I also noticed that Metamod is built from source. HLDS (which is a C++
22 program) is very sensitive to which version of GCC is used to build Metamod
23 (and Metamods), and most people find it seg faults most of the time when
24 compiled from source. It might be worth adding an ebuild for the binary
25 release of Metamod - or talk to Will Day (metamod's author) to discuss which
26 GCC & CXXFLAGS are likely to bring the most success.
27
28 I'd also be very interested in seeing HLDS support the +vhosts scheme we've
29 been discussing about webapps.
30
31 Best regards,
32 Stu
33 --
34 Stuart Herbert stuart@g.o
35 Gentoo Developer http://www.gentoo.org/
36 Beta packages for download http://dev.gentoo.org/~stuart/packages/
37
38 GnuGP key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu
39 Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319 C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C