From: Peter <pete4abw@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Unified nVidia Driver Ebuild ready for testing
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 18:00:11
1 On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 16:50:16 +0100, Henrik Brix Andersen wrote:
2
3 > On Fri, Dec 23, 2005 at 09:49:04PM +0100, Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò wrote:
4 >> I thought that we (gentoo devs) were trying to split the modules from ebuilds,
5 >> so that people don't need to waste time with userland when rebuilding modules
6 >> after kernel update.
7 >
8 > We are. At least that's the policy suggested by the kernel herd. This
9 > policy also allows applying securiy/bug fixes to kernel modules
10 > without forcing users to recompile the userland part and vice versa.
11 >
12 > Regards,
13 > Brix
14
15 Thanks all for the feedback. It's important to realize that "userland" in
16 this case is under 1 minute compile time. One of the modules, glx, doesn't
17 even get compiled. A poster on this thread noted that glx took 14
18 seconds -- it just copies closed source libraries. Sometimes one can go
19 overboard trying to modularize and perfect an installation process. Look
20 at the user list and see how many problems some "enhancements" cause --
21 keyword changes, use variables, etc.!
22
23 Here, the intent is to simplify things, remove steps and ebuilds, and make
24 it more user friendly and require less interaction.
29 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list