From: George Shapovalov <george@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Some 'proper coding' notes for ebuilds
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2003 18:26:07
1 On Friday 08 August 2003 08:21, Anthony de Boer wrote:
2 > Don Seiler wrote:
3 > > Can repoman not be updated to catch what only lintool catches now, so
4 > > that we can have our all-in-one kwik-e-tool?
5 > The implication I see in the documentation is that repoman is for Gentoo
6 > developers only[0], and implies you need CVS access to the Gentoo tree,
7 > while one shouldn't bother with lintool at all[1]. As a non-dev wanting
8 > to submit the occasional ebuild, I'd like a tool I can use to make sure
9 > I don't miss anything obvious that a CVS committer would see when he/she
10 > runs repoman against my ebuild.
11
12 I would like to second that. Even as a developer I like to do two passes -
13 first is done with lintool, while I tweak an ebuild in my "live" tree (and I
14 do have them separate, - gives me quite a bit of flexibility in tweaking
15 without a risk of inadvertedly committing some local changes to the global
16 tree) and then using repoman to finalize all "distributed" stuff, like
17 digests, etc. in the cvs tree. Nothing beats lintool (so far and if you know
18 your way around it) for the first checks that involve the ebuild itself..
19
20 George
25 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list