From: Anthony de Boer <gentoo-dev@××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Some 'proper coding' notes for ebuilds
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2003 15:21:02
1 Don Seiler wrote:
2 > Can repoman not be updated to catch what only lintool catches now, so
3 > that we can have our all-in-one kwik-e-tool?
4
5 The implication I see in the documentation is that repoman is for Gentoo
6 developers only[0], and implies you need CVS access to the Gentoo tree,
7 while one shouldn't bother with lintool at all[1]. As a non-dev wanting
8 to submit the occasional ebuild, I'd like a tool I can use to make sure
9 I don't miss anything obvious that a CVS committer would see when he/she
10 runs repoman against my ebuild.
11
12 Hmmm, now I'm wondering what'd happen if I put my ebuilds in a local CVS
13 repository; would repoman know it wasn't the "real" repository? If that's
14 the case, the manpage should probably give a pointer about doing that,
15 and not start off by scaring away non-devs.
16
17 [0] repoman(1) says:
18 repoman is meant for Gentoo developers only due to the fact it does not
19 work on a per-ebuild basis. It checks the quality of CVS repositories.
20 If you want some utility to check out the quality of ebuilds, emerge
21 dev-util/lintool.
22
23 [1] http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-howto.xml repeatedly says
24 ``Be warned - lintool is very broken. Use repoman instead.''
27 Anthony de Boer
30 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list