From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: GLEP 19 -- Gentoo Stable Portage Tree
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 13:15:31
1 On Tuesday 03 February 2004 14:43, tigger@g.o wrote:
2 > > I understand why a keyword might be useful in marking ebuilds that'll go
3 > > into a stable branch. However, you haven't ansewred my question - why
4 > > have a separate cvs branch at all? Why not just use keywords as we do now
5 > > for arch/~arch?
6 >
7 > My own opinion:
8 >
9 > 1. The size of the tree. If this is to be an enterprise tree, its likely
10 > that it won't have an ebuild for every package as most enterprise people
11 > won't want x (name an obscure desktop related package). Quicker
12 > synchrosing and easier backup/restore and less clutter is good. This
13 > isn't a big issue really though.
14
15 For snapshots we can easily filter a tree on keywords to produce a smaller,
16 cleaner one. I've also heard (don't remember where) people talk about
17 filtering for your ACCEPT_KEYWORDS in emerge sync. That would leave stuff in
18 files/ which doesn't clearly belong to a specific ebuild file, but the total
19 size of such files isn't too big.
20
21 And, right now I'm thinking about the developer end of things. It'd be more
22 comfortable for me to work with a single cvs tree and keywords. Fixing up the
23 rsync end is an implementation detail :-)
26 > 2. Guaranteed someone will "clean" an ebuild thinking its to old and
27 > needs to be removed. This is a big issue.
28 >
29 > If its a seperate tree where only people who know the rules of the tree
30 > work, its more likely to stay consistant and not have stuff removed that
31 > shouldn't be.
32
33 Only the people who know the rules of our main tree should work there, too.
34 Including the rules about not deleting whatever shouldn't be deleted.
35 Please see my reply about this to trance.
38 Dan Armak
39 Gentoo Linux developer (KDE)
40 Matan, Israel
41 Public GPG key: http://dev.gentoo.org/~danarmak/danarmak-gpg-public.key
42 Fingerprint: DD70 DBF9 E3D4 6CB9 2FDD 0069 508D 9143 8D5F 8951